A hotel with a lot of history
Igualada | Anoia | Barcelona
The origins of the Hotel America go back to the 40s when Jeroni Carol Gual, owner of the Bar America located on the Rambla San Isidro in the centre of Igualada, decided to start a new project building a hotel by the new N -II road that was being built on the northern outskirts of the city. On December 8 th 1955 the Hotel America opened its doors, an establishment that for many years was a point of reference as a stopover for people travelling between Barcelona, Madrid, Andorra and other places.
Together with the strong industrial development of the city, this establishment experienced its greatest period of growth through the 70s. Thus, in 1973 an ambitious extension to the business was inaugurated. This included a 6-storey building with 34 rooms and an imposing lobby that complemented the previously built and well known original cafeteria, the restaurant rooms and the great ballroom.
In June 2014, within a completely different socio-economic context to that previously described, the current cafeteria and breakfast buffet area were put into service. This was possible following a general restructuring and consequent renovation works of the generously spaced original hotel lobby that today houses these spaces that are annexed to the reception area. This has allowed us to concentrate services, improve functionality and offer our customers a better service.
Further to the changes that have taken place in recent years, the hotel plans to continue renovating and improving its facilities.